Friday 20 September 2013

Tranquility

I came across this article today, and felt compelled to share it


I deplore the mental health care situation in Canada, and this article touches on some of its more alarming features, the chief premise being that there is a rising population of Canadians struggling with some type of mental issue that isn't being sufficiently treated. Living in a developing country, I am calm, well rested, and my stress levels are minimal. Conversely in Vancouver, despite numerous benefits, my life is punctuated by almost constant stress and anxiety. And I'm not the only one. I'm not sure..perhaps it's the fact that we really have everything we could possibly need materially, and then some. I don't think it's a natural state of being for human beings to have all their material needs fulfilled at all times. We are designed to process challenges and to find creative ways of dealing with them. Having everything at our fingertips allows too much room for excess energy.. which we internalize to the effect of developing ruminating and anxious habits. And the advent of social media phenomenally perpetuates the issue.This is my generalized theory. In any case, the increasing number of people who experience mental issues is not being dealt with adequately. However, the fact that mental issues are even being discussed at this level is significant. They exist all over the world, but many nations are obviously not ready to acknowledge or attempt to treat them. So I am happy that although these problems are rampant in Canada, many people are at least aware and concerned about their treatment. 

I remember feeling this calm only in childhood I think, back when nature governed my life to a much larger extent. There are challenges every day, but I let them come and deal with them one at a time. And it makes me enjoy the easy things, whereas in Canada I just take them for granted. I hope I'll learn from this and organize my life in a healthier way when I return.

Just an update, I have now been here for almost two weeks and have just completed my first week of work here. I finished the work week with a lovely Yoga session with my roommate, and I honestly felt more accomplished than I remember being. For a first real professional gig, this one is a doozy. I've had many frustrating moments, and several panic attacks in the middle of the night when I wake up disoriented and overwhelmed. The transition is at times severe, and certainly an onslaught for the senses. But after two weeks, every day is getting easier and I'm feeling much more at home. I'm just enjoying learning about myself and about this beautiful country. I can't wait to see where I'm at at the end of this ride. It has already been an insane journey.

Also, today we are having the first cloudy day since I arrived. It's depressing! I honestly don't know how I survive the Vancouver weather. It must be responsible for at least a third of my psychological and emotional issues.

Speaking of Vancouver, here's a hilarious clip I found today. I hope you enjoy it! (if anyone is even reading this haha)

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/vancouverite-video-mocks-west-coast-life-191551152.html


No comments:

Post a Comment